Saturday, January 10, 2009

Shade on the North Shore by Jenny Floravita


Oil on canvas, 6" X 8"
Painting can be purchased for $95 plus s/h: from the artist, Jenny Floravita

This painting was definitely the study for a larger piece that I finished last week and in which will be posted in a couple weeks. I'm ramping up to my next tropical adventure. Next Sunday morning I'm flying to Oahu to spend some time on the North Shore.

The scene above just happens to be of the North Shore of Kauai but I thought it would be a good challenge to discover some new inspiring scenes to paint. I choose this time of year because I know that the waves will be heavy and that there will be a lot of mood and movement in the ocean and in the air. Winter time is an exciting time in the Hawaiian Islands and for me, it's a wonderful break from our dreary California weather.

I know...I'm a wimp when it comes to weather. If it hits below 75 degrees, I'm chilled! And actually, we tend to have mild winters, definitely no snow, right up to Christmas. Though the one thing that I miss the most is the fresh air. Even in the summer when the sun is cranking the heat in, we have our windows open, unlike all of our air-conditioned polar bear neighbors.

Today I'm inspired simply because it's warmed up to the mid 60s and we've got the windows open to air the place out. What a difference! My spirit has lifted to a new level and I feel like I can breath again. I truly do not like even the slightest cold, preferring tropical weather but also loving temps in the 80s and 90s. In fact, 90 degrees is somewhat perfect for me.

And now that my beautiful tropical yards have been maturing for about 6 years, it's paradise here when it's warm. And as I write this blog with my tropical office window open, the sound of our pond waterfall and the lushness of the palms outside my window is simply lovely.

Now if only we had our hot tub installed...it's waiting in our garage to be moved to the back. ..

www.floravita.com

No comments: