Friday, June 11, 2010

Choose an artist who's style you like for your commissions...no copying!

Little Island Cottage, 6"x6" oil on gallery wrapped canvas, awaiting a new home...
Painting can be purchased from: from the artist, Jenny Floravita

The subject of copying art is old. Most college art students are encouraged to copy the works of master painters and sculptors and some are even required to do so in order to learn valuable techniques. Some art schools even have access to museums where students can copy directly from the masters original work. Copying art is a good way for artists to learn but not acceptable past school years.

So why do I bring this up? Professional artists must develop very distinct styles in order to stand out and prosper in the art world. There are literally millions of artists all over the globe, many of which are very good.

As a collector, when choosing art you should look for an artist who already has a style that you like. Usually you will not get great results if you ask an artist to paint/sculpt/create something out of the vein in which they work simply because you like their prices and perhaps even their "natural" artistic voice but really desire a specific work of art of a gallery artist (aka very expensive). Sorry if that was a long sentence but I think that you know what I mean.

Artists: it's been my experience that when accepting commissions out of my natural vein vein of work causes me great stress and headache so I really try to avoid this. We work in series for a reason and our voices in art are well thought out and not easy to change. And in the end, you may not be able to please clients who really would rather have a work of art from a different artist who they usually cannot afford. Turn these commissions down. There is a saying in the art world: sometimes you make the most money on the projects that you do not accept.

I am careful now to try to only accept commissions that I feel that I can do well.

To see more, please visit my websites: www.floravitalights.com
and www.floravita.com

No comments: