Friday, January 01, 2010

Own your own Hawaii Beach House



6"x6" and 12"x6" oil paintings drying, awaiting new homes...
Painting can be purchased for $100 plus $6 s/h: from the artist, Jenny Floravita

As we roll into the new year, I've been here working in my studio, contemplating the direction of my work (as always). The life of an artist is filled with challenges: which painting or set of paintings to work on next, which colors will set the overall tone of a piece, composition, solving spacial/color issues, choosing shows, etc... The list goes on and on and I haven't even touched the tip of the ice burg nor have I even touched upon how I go about selling my work and making a living, ie, running a small business.

What is exceptionally challenging for me is the fact that I work in a few different disciplines equally well. I paint my island scenes in both oil and watercolors as I do my tropical flowers. And my reverse painted chandeliers are a total work within themselves and that's taken me on an interesting journey these past couple years...but I won't go into that here as this blog is for my 'traditional' paintings.

No, what I want to tell you is that as an artist, I'm filled with inspiration most days of the week. And it's difficult to pick the next painting. I'll be at my easel, as I was today, and I'll switch directions right before I start a painting. It's a process in my mind that I go through...and as an artist, I'm constantly challenging myself to learn more about my paintings and the subjects that I paint and how they are going to be approached. It's hard to explain but it's a process that I bet a lot of artists struggle with: reigning in the inspiration. And let me tell you, having too much inspiration sure beats the few days in the month where I just don't feel like painting at all (and indeed, I don't paint on these days).

Lucky for me, today was an inspired day!

And while I'm at it, the photos above are paintings drying in my studio and are from this past week. They are my newest Mini-Masters. As I was painting them, I was thinking that the island cottages that have have been so popular with my collectors are an excellent way to "own" your own beach house. No monthly dues or electric bills and you don't even need hurricane insurance! Now how good of a deal is that!

Next show: San Francisco Flower and Garden Show, March 24-28, 2010 at the San Mateo Event Center, BOOTH # 649. More info here: http://www.sfgardenshow.com

To see more, please visit my websites: www.floravitalights.com
and www.floravita.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Jenny Floravita said...

Thanks, I try. Many things become easier the more that you do them and I've tried to spend a lot more time reflecting on they "why" process of art. It helps me to better talk to collectors at festivals.

Emily Miller said...

I love the thickness of your paintings. I recently took a painting class and was really ahead so i got to choose my next painting and I choose one of yours and kinda put my own touch on it...i am so inspired by your work it is amazing!

Jenny Floravita said...

Hi Emily,

It's great that you are taking painting classes. Try to look for subjects that you've experienced for yourself either through your travels or in your everyday life. Those will help you develop a real "voice" that is your own...think you will know what I mean by this down the line.

If you must copy paintings, I'd encourage you to not copy the works of living artists but instead study the masters of long ago. Most professional artists have done this in their early studies.